Monday, March 12, 2012

Project X Review

Introduction: I'm not much of a party guy. I don't get drunk. I don't take drugs. I don't even dance that much. I like to keep a clear head and stay focused. Just like I do in the movies. But I've been to a rave or two, and I've been to several parties. So I can say quite easily that this is definitely a party movie. DUH. It honestly brings up memories of those 70s and 80s movies like Animal House and Weird Science except this one seems to be made for the smart phone era... And thus for stupid people.

The Three Amigos: So our movie has three best friends; the Peer Pressure Protagonist, the Asshole I Want to Beat the Sh*t Out Of, and Jabbles. It's Peer Pressure Protagonist's birthday and his friends want to throw him a party that will make him popular. Yupp, that's our motivation, popularity... Anyways, let's look at these highly interesting characters arcs. Peer Pressure Protagonist starts off as a sweet, nice kid. He's not known that much but he has some good friends and even a girl who likes him. By the end of the movie he goes to jail and he has ruined his entire life just to be popular. The Asshole starts off as an asshole and ends as one. Wow. Jabbles starts off this movie as that kid standing there and ends as that kid standing there in the "special bus."

Talking Cleavage: Wait, there is supposed to be female characters in this movie? All I saw were hundreds of bouncing breasts, but I guess Hollywood counts that as a substantial character aspect...

Tragedy v Comedy: You might walk into this movie thinking "Omg this movie is going to be so funny! It's going to be like Animal House with so many antics and and kids getting into craaaazzzzyyy situations!" Well I'm here to tell you that this is executed poorly and instead of laughing I felt like crying as I watched this nice, young man sh*t his life away into nothingness. It's like watching a drag car suddenly spinning out of control and then flip over several dozen times until it finally stops and explodes. Sadly, the movie cheapens what could have been a great tragedy by having the driver get out of the car completely unharmed and waving to the audience. So what the f*ck was the point of that?!

Conclusion: If you have watched the trailer for this and you're in high school or college and want to go see it then you'll probably like it. It's not like the trailer or posters market it as a great film, just a crazy party, and that's what you get. For everyone else I have just this to say, this movie f*cking sucks my balls.