Friday, October 14, 2011

Revolving: Introduction

Anyone who know me knows that I love music. I love it to death. They also know that I rarely listen to modern music unless it's hip hop. Maybe because hip-hop is still relatively young and when I was young Eminem was the gateway for me into all things hip-hop with his lyrics that reminisced Rakim's and beats from the Doctor. I think that maybe I don't listen to a lot of modern music is because I'd rather try to absorb as much of what came beforehand to really grasp the influences. Though it could also be because I'm afraid. I'm afraid I'll see music's current face as something distorted and ugly with glitter and glam plastered over it's face to hide the truth...

But I'm happy to have focused my attention on music from the sixties, seventies, eighties, and nineties. Otherwise, how would I have know that Phil Collins, the composer of Disney's Tarzan soundtrack, was also a band member of the famous seventies progressive band Genesis and from there found a friendship with Brian Eno and boy did Brian Eno open some doors. I don't know about you, but I find that highly interesting.

Since I've listened to music sequentially from the years of Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, and James Brown to the present I have a weird range of love for music. Probably the only type of music I don't adore is country and even then I heart Johnny Cash and Hank Williams, but maybe that's a given. Because of this strange array I have actually taken the four CD slots in my car stereo and categorized my music collection for each slot.

My first slot I call my Love slot because of the sound I have found within the sixties. This does not mean only music from the sixties can go here. This would be music like psychedelia, folk, country, blues, jazz, baroque/classical, and even indie music. So you are just as likely to hear Bob Dylan and Beach Boys here as you are to hear Bon Iver and Arcade Fire.

My second slot I call my Alternative slot. I put alternative, krautrock, metal, glam, punk, progressive, and anything else you can think of. I also tend to put my rock albums in here such as Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones. Mainly 70's music but I'll be damned if the 90's didn't have a sh*tload of alternative music with the likes of Radiohead and The Flaming Lips. This is just crazy f*cking music. I still don't know if Jimi Hendrix belongs here or in the 60's... probably depends on the album.

I'm not a fan of the eighties. I'm not saying the eighties isn't good, just after hearing the 60's and 70's the 80's was like da f*ck? What's going on?! So how about we call this slot the Dance slot? If you have synthpop, pop, dance, techno, house, R&B, soul, funk, and disco then you better put that sh*t here. Cause I love music that just makes me want to shake my booty! Sly and the Family Stone? Welcome. James Brown? Welcome? Daft Punk? Welcome. Michael Jackson? Welcome.

And finally we get to my Hip-Hop slot. I love nodding my head to a good beat and rapping along to some good lyrics. Funny enough, I don't cuss in real life so I actually sensor myself when I rap along to a verse with "foul language." Hahahahahaha!! Anyways, I also tend to put more soul music here as well like Marvin Gaye and even Mary J. Blige. Marvin for his socially conscious lyrics and Mary for her mesh of soul and hip-hop.

Besides those names I sometimes also refer to them as water, fire, air, and earth, but this blog post is already weird enough. The only reason I am telling you all any of this is because I have started to get into more and more modern music and thought it would be pretty sweet if I started reviewing music as well as movies, but not all new music. I thought it would be interesting to review albums that are regarded as classics and review them in the order of my car stereo: love, alternative, dance, and hip-hop. And since I love the Beatles' Revolver so much how about we call these new music reviews Revolving? Revolving being a double meaning about not only my albums revolving but also the wheels on my car revolving as well. Stupid, I know. But f*ck it.

P.S. Any requests?