Sunday, April 1, 2012

Hunger Games Review

Introduction: When I went to see this movie I came 20 minutes early yet still had to sit in the very front row. Their were a lot of tweens but I thought nothing of it. Boy was that stupid. I soon found out these tweens were the same ones who were screaming when I saw any Twilight movie. This put me in a somber mood as the movie played and I had to sit through 2 and half hours a yard from the silver screen as a crowd of idiots were screaming behind me about how hot Peter was. STFU!!! I'M TRYING TO WATCH THIS GOOD MOVIE!!!

Shaky Cam: But this f*ck head audience was made a thousand times worse by the fact that this movie has so...much...f*cking...shaky cam. I can't even tell you how many times I couldn't tell what the f*ck was happening just because the director was having a Gawd damn seizure. When we finally got a wide view shot during an action scene I yelled out "YES!!! THANK YOU!!!" But as soon as I finished my statement it went back to super up close shaky cam and I was pissed. WHAT THE F*CK IS GOING ON?!?!?!

Influence and Tone: Thankfully, I actually enjoyed the movie. Like a lot. Even with all that sh*t going on I enjoyed the film. This is due to it's influences and tone. Hunger Games draws inspiration from a lot of stuff including... Logan's Run, the Running Man, Battle Royale, and American Idol... Because American Idol is post-apocalyptic... The story is about a rebellion that happened a while ago and the government totally f*cked everyone up and divided everyone into 13 districts and totally killed the 13th one. I think. Then every year they took one male and one female from each district in between ages 12 and 18 (wtf?) and had them fight each other to the death in front of every district. The way the film carries this tone of dread throughout various scenes is great and makes everything feel tense up until the battle.

What's Wrong With Your Face???: But besides the 13 districts their is the capital city where everywhere is super duper rich and wears weird make up and made me ask a very important question... WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR FACE???

Kansas: So Katniss, or was it Kat Nip? Or maybe it was Kansas? Yeah, that's what it was. So Kansas volunteers for the child kill spree to defend her little sister from fighting. This immediately makes her likable and makes you hope that she will win. When she trains to survive she states how she can't afford to keep her soul intact and is willing to do anything to win. She shows this a lot with the fake romance between her and Peter but then at the end is willing to kill herself for no reason whatsoever. Wtf, Kansas? Plus when she comes back home to her boyfriend after openly making out with Peter on national television he seems super happy to see her like it never happened. Oh right, Peter...

Peter:I actually didn't know his name was Peeta until I looked on wikipedia but f*ck it. If I thought his name was Peter for 2.5 hours then by Gawd that's what I'm going to f*cking call him. Kansas doesn't like Peter all that much. Throughout the whole movie we get flashbacks as to why that is and all we get is utter confusion. The flashback shows Kansas hungry on the side of the road in the rain and Peter throwing her a piece of bread... So he fed her...And bread is a rare item in this world...WHAT??? Ugh! Then the movie has a scene to show that Peter has no skills by having him throw a heavy thing... Which is never brought up again...Though I do love the camouflage he uses. That was absolutely amazing. 

Conclusion: The Hunger Games is yet another post-apocalyptic movie about people having to fight to death. But it's not every day you see a 12 year old girl get speared to death or teens being stung to death by genetically altered wasps. The movie does a really good job of entertaining me and having 2.5 hours go by really fast. I wish the audience could have been quieter or that action scenes could have been comprehensible but the story and characters really made this movie something worth watching... F*ck Twilight.